- Full-time stay-at-home mother of two young children
- Started Goodies by Jenn, a home-based custom bakery
- Living Magazine Readers’ Choice Winner 2017 Best Bakery, Richardson Living Magazine’s 2017 and 2016 Best Bite Awards for Best Bakery
- Writes a weekly blog Blessed Mess Mama
- Previously worked in the hospitality and recording industries
Jennifer Browning is a stay-at-home mother of two boys, a 2 year old and a 5 year old. She initially started baking as a hobby after a baking class sparked her interest and creativity. She began baking for family and friends and, through word of mouth and social media, Jennifer’s business grew. In her home-based bakery business, she creates custom cakes, pies, cookies, and other delicious treats. Goodies by Jenn has grown in popularity and Jennifer has been awarded Living Magazine Readers’ Choice 2017 Best Bakery and Richarson Living Magazine 2017 and 2016 Best Bite Award for Best Bakery.
Jennifer also writes a weekly blog called Blessed Mess Mama. Her thought provoking and entertaining posts are a mix of parenting, sobriety, recipes, and daily life. She recently received the Blogger Recognition Award, given by fellow bloggers to acknowledge the work of others.
When she’s not baking, Jennifer enjoys singing, being outdoors, and spending time with her family at their ranch.
- What inspired Jennifer to start a blog [2:00]
- Learning to bake, decorate, and start a business [3:00]
- At what point did Jennifer realize her hobby could become a business [9:30]
- Determining the cost of your goods [11:20]
- Offering an affordable range of options for clients [14:00]
- State laws, licensing, and requirements for home-based food businesses [15:20]
- What Jennifer enjoys the most about baking and what are some of the challenges [20:20]
- Maintaining a work life balance with 2 young kids and a growing business [22:35]
- Looking back, would she have done anything differently? [25:15]
- Advice for starting your own business [28:20]
- Create a plan and open a bank account for your business [10:00]
- Know your target audience/client and how much they are willing to pay for your services [11:20]
- Always bake a little extra for your kids to snack [18:10]
- There’s no need to buy an expensive kit, just get a few necessary supplies to get you started [28:20]
- Join social media sites to get advice from others in the business [29:40]
Contacts and Links
Coming Up in the Next Episode of The Side Business Show
Tune in to listen to Raya Khashab share her story of discovering best friends may not make the best business partners and how creating a proof of concept is so important before you build a product and business.
Have Questions about the show? Do you need help with your Side Business or just want to bounce off ideas? Please write to us at ike@theSideBusiness.Show.